Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME)
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Project Adviser in the field of energy efficiency
Contract agent FG IV (Reserve List)
Applications are invited for the post of Project Adviser in the field of energy efficiency at the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME).
- Profile 1: Buildings and/or heating and cooling
- Profile 2: Industry, products and/or consumers
- Profile 3: Public authorities, energy services and/or energy efficiency finance
Candidates are invited to apply online via EASME e-recruitment tool by creating an account or signing in to an existing one. Please note that the fact to complete and validate the online application form of the Call for Expressions of Interest (EPSO/CAST/P1-17/2017) in function group IV launched by EPSO on 05/01/2017 doesn't mean that the candidate has automatically applied for the above referenced position in EASME.
Candidates need to specify in their application, which of the above profile(s) they are applying for. In case they wish to apply for more than one profile, they must indicate a preference order in their motivation letter and they must also indicate specific arguments for each profile.
Type of contract
Function group and grade
Duration of contract
2 years (with the possibility of extension)
Maximum number of candidates to be placed on the Reserve List
B.1. H2020 Energy
Place of employment
Deadline for application
extended to 10/03/2017 at 23:45, Brussels time
1. ABOUT US
The Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME) was established by Commission Decision No. 2013/771/EU of 17 December 2013, repealing Decisions 2004/20/EC and 2007/372/EC. Our role is to manage programmes on behalf of the European Commission.
Located in Brussels, the EASME has been operational since 2005 (under different mandates) and its official lifetime currently runs until 2024 (with a possible extension of the Agency's mandate and programmes in the future). We are international experts and specialists in business support, innovation, energy, the environment, communication, and finance. Our Agency has 3 departments and 8 units. Our colleagues are both European Commission officials and professionals from the private sector.
The Agency reports to seven Directorates-General of the European Commission – Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (GROWTH), Research and Innovation (RTD), Energy (ENER), Environment (ENV), Climate Action (CLIMA), Communication Networks, Content and Technologies (CONNECT), Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (MARE) – which remain responsible for programming and evaluation.
More information on the EASME, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/easme.
2. PROGRAMMES MANAGED BY THE EASME
The EASME has been set-up by the European Commission to manage on its behalf:
• Most of COSME, the EU programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), including Enterprise Europe Network (EEN);
• Part of Horizon 2020, the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, and in particular:
o Part II 'Industrial leadership'
- Innovation in SMEs
- The Sustainable Industry Low Carbon Scheme (SILC II)
o Part III 'Societal challenges'
- The Energy Efficiency calls for proposals under the challenge ‘Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy’
- The calls for proposals in the fields of waste, water innovation and sustainable supply of raw material under the challenge ‘Climate action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials’
o The SME instrument
3. JOB DESCRIPTION
The EASME is organising a selection procedure for the post of Project Adviser in the Unit B.1, Function group IV (FGIV). The Unit is responsible for both:
· the Horizon 2020 Energy Efficiency Focus Area;
· and the Intelligent Energy Europe Programme legacy.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sector/Head of Unit, the job holder is responsible for implementation of a number of Programme management actions including the management of all the stages in the lifetime of projects in collaboration with other services in the EASME and in liaison with the parent DG.
Functions and duties
Programme/ project management
- Manage projects and calls for proposals.
- Launch, promote, monitor and manage calls for proposals, calls for tenders, ad hoc grants, etc. related to the specific Programme.
- Prepare the submission tools, forms and documents and participate in the selection of external evaluators; if applicable.
- Prepare the evaluation phase of the call and participate in the design of evaluation procedures, methods and documents and participate in evaluation panels and organise and monitor the work of external evaluators; if applicable.
- Analyse and present the evaluation results, provide input for future improvements and provide feedback to applicants. Conduct the grant agreement preparation with project coordinators and ensure the technical and financial consistency of the projects to be funded; if applicable.
- With regard to call for tenders, work on the specifications and prepare publication. Act as member or chair of the Evaluation Committee and participate in the preparation of contracts as appropriate depending on the nature of the Programme. Liaise with the Procurement Cell in all steps of the procedure.
- Monitor the implementation of projects, in particular the performance of project coordinators and partners and the fulfilment of contractual obligations by means of periodic reviews and assessment of project reports.
- Manage requests for contract amendments in collaboration with financial officers, depending on the nature of the Programme.
- Assess and approve project reports and control the eligibility of the expenditures, their regularity and their adequacy with the contractual provisions.
- Plan and carry out programme's actions that are implemented by means of public procurement procedures and contribute to the evaluation of the programme.
- Act as the principal interlocutor of the beneficiaries or contractors during the implementation of the grant agreement or contract, handling in-coming correspondence, including that with legal or financial contents, in close liaison with financial officers depending on the nature of the Programme.
- Participate in project meetings and possible monitoring visits to explain relevant EU policies and procedures, to encourage networking and to monitor the technical implementation of the projects; if applicable.
- Write reports and briefings; provide statistics on project results upon request.
- Ensure the dissemination and promotion of project results and present the programmes and projects at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events; regularly update the projects' database; contribute to the preparation of communication materials.
- Participate in the organization of conferences, workshops, experts meetings and similar events; facilitate the exchange of experiences and good practices; feed and manage IT tools related to various actions, including portals and websites if applicable.
- Provide advice, support, and feedback within the EASME and to the parent DG and develop links between the Programme's action and other programmes / networks to facilitate synergies if applicable.
- Fulfil the role of operational initiating agent; if applicable.
4. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A. Eligibility criteria
Candidates will be considered eligible for selection on the basis of the following formal criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
1. Have successfully passed an EPSO reasoning and competency tests for contract agents valid for Executive Agencies  or have successfully passed a competition that has been certified by EPSO in the function group of the present call for expression of interest;
Have completed and validated the online application form of the Call for Expressions of Interest (EPSO/CAST/P1-17/2017) in function group IV launched by EPSO on 05/01/2017 in view to create a pool of candidates from which the EU institutions, bodies, offices and agencies can recruit.
2. Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma, when the normal period of university education is at least three years (only study titles that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are subject to the equivalence certificates issued by the authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration);
3. Produce evidence of thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and of a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties;
4. Be a national of a member state of the European Union;
5. Be entitled to his or her full rights as a citizen;
6. Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service;
7. Meet the character requirements for the duties involved;
8. Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
B. Selection criteria
Essential selection criteria
1. After obtaining the qualifications mentioned in point A.2 here above, candidates must have acquired at least two years of relevant professional experience in the field of energy efficiency in one or more of the following areas:
- buildings and/or heating and cooling;
- industry, products, and/or consumers;
- public authorities, energy services and/or energy efficiency finance;
carrying out activities related to:
- and/or innovation;
- and/or market uptake (e.g. policy definition and/or implementation, capacity building, access to capital, awareness raising, consulting, communication, advice, etc.).
2. Very good oral and written command of English. Spoken and written skills equivalent to level C1 or higher level.
- Demonstrated professional experience implementing energy efficiency projects funded under EU programmes, e.g. Intelligent Energy Europe Programme, FP7, Horizon 2020, INTERREG, etc.
- Demonstrated work experience within an international organisation or in another multicultural environment.
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. Master).
- University education attested by a diploma in a field related to the profile(s) of the post.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a trans-national project.
Skills and competencies essential for the post (tested during the interview)
- Specific professional knowledge in the energy efficiency areas listed above;
- Skills relevant to the duties described in the Job Description above;
- High motivation, strong aptitude for team work and the capacity to work autonomously;
- Very good analytical skills and aptitude for result based reporting and monitoring;
- Strong communication skills as well as inter-personal and networking skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage his/her responsibilities within tight deadlines.
5. SELECTION PROCEDURE
A. Admission to the selection procedure
First, the submitted applications will be checked against the eligibility criteria (“Professional qualifications and other requirements” - section A). Only eligible applications will be assessed further.
B. Assessment of eligible applications
The Selection Committee will analyse the motivation letters and CVs of eligible applicants with reference to:
- The selection criteria ("Professional qualifications and other requirements" - section B, under points "essential" and "advantageous")
- The overall assessment of the quality & suitability of the application based on the requirements of the post.
Applications which do not meet one or more of the essential selection criteria (see 4. Professional qualifications and other requirements, B – Selection criteria, Essential) will not be evaluated further.
Upon completion of the assessment, the Selection Committee will establish a shortlist of candidates matching best the needs of the Agency for the functions and duties mentioned in this Call.
C. Invitation to computer-based tests
Shortlisted candidates having applied to the Call for Expressions of Interest (EPSO/CAST/P1-17/2017) in function group IV will be invited by EPSO to sit a series of computer-based multiple choice tests (MCQ) in one of its accredited centres. Only candidates who succeed in these tests will be invited to the interview.
Shortlisted candidates who have already successfully passed EPSO reasoning and competency tests for contract agents valid for Executive Agencies or have successfully passed a competition that has been certified by EPSO in the function group of the present call for expression of interest will not have to sit the EPSO tests again and will be directly invited to an interview.
All shortlisted candidates who have successfully passed EPSO reasoning and competency tests for contract agents valid for Executive Agencies will be invited for an interview (duration: 30 minutes, main language of the interview: English).
Candidates are invited to indicate in their online application any special arrangements that may be required if invited to attend an interview.
E. Reserve list
The Selection Committee will place on reserve list, a maximum of 15 candidates with the highest marks achieved in the interview.
A second round of interviews may be organized before the offer of an employment.
Candidates should note that their inclusion on the reserve list does not imply any entitlement to employment in the Agency.
The reserve list will be valid for 12 months from the date of its establishment and may be used for other positions in the same function group. The validity of the reserve list may be extended by decision of the Director.
6. SELECTION COMMITTEE
A Selection Committee will be appointed for this selection procedure and will be composed of at least 4 members, including a member designated by the Staff Committee of the Agency.
The names of the Selection Committee members will be communicated to candidates upon notification of the outcome of the assessment of eligible applications (see 5. Selection Procedure, B - Assessment of eligible applications).
Under no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee, either directly or indirectly, concerning this recruitment. The Agency's Director reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards these instructions.
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
To apply for this position, candidates should submit via our e-recruitment tool, an up-to-date detailed curriculum vitae (Europass CV format) and a motivation letter.
Candidates need to specify in their application, for which of the 3 listed profiles they are applying. In case they wish to apply for more than one profile, they must indicate a preference order in their motivation letter and they must also indicate specific arguments for each profile.
After a correct submission of an application, candidates will receive an automated acknowledgement of receipt to the email account indicated in their application.
There is no obligation to submit applications in English, however documents sent in English will greatly facilitate the work of the Selection Committee.
The Agency strongly advises not to wait until the last few days before the deadline for applying, since heavy internet traffic or connection difficulties could lead to problems.
It is the sole responsibility of each applicant to complete ALL relevant fields of his/her online application and to send it before the deadline for submission. Any information or documentation provided after the deadline will not be taken into account.
The candidate will be disqualified if:
(s)he does not complete online registration by the deadline;
at any stage in the procedure it is established that information a candidate provided is incorrect.
Candidates are invited to indicate in their online application any special arrangements that may be required if invited to attend an interview/written tests.
8. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
The European Union institutions apply a policy of equal opportunities and accept applications without discrimination on the ground of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
9. APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
On the basis of the reserve list the Director will make the offer of employment. A contract offer, linked to the determined life of the Agency, will be made as a contract staff member, in function group IV, pursuant to Article 3a of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union, for a duration of two years, with the possibility of renewal (a second renewal of the contract will lead to a contract of indefinite duration).
Successful candidates who are offered a contract of employment will be placed in step 1 of the relevant grade. The precise classification in grade is done in accordance with the EASME Implementing Rules on conditions of employment of contract staff (C/2012/4762) and will depend on the number of years of professional experience acquired after the degree giving access to the post. In particular, the EASME grading rules for the engagement of contract staff in function group IV are currently as follows:
· Grade 13: if the person has acquired less than 8 years of professional experience;
· Grade 14: if the person has acquired between 8 and 21 years of professional experience;
· Grade 16: if the person has acquired 21 years of professional experience or more;
EASME does not hire staff in function group IV in the grade 15.
For reasons related to the Agency’s operational requirements, the candidate will be required to be available at short notice.
For further information on working conditions of contract staff see the web site of the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO).
The place of employment will be Brussels, Belgium where the Agency has its premises.
10. REQUEST FOR REVIEW
If a candidate believes a mistake has been made, (s)he may request a review of the Agency's decision. This should be made within 10 calendar days of the date of the e-mail notifying the candidate of the outcome of the selection procedure. The request should quote the reference number of the selection procedure concerned and the candidate should substantiate the reasons for requesting a review. It should be for the attention of the Chairman/Chairwoman of the Selection Committee and sent to the following address: EASME-HR-Recruitment@ec.europa.eu. The Selection Committee will review the request and notify the candidate of its decision within 15 calendar days of receipt of the request.
11. APPEAL PROCEDURE
Pursuant to Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities ("Staff Regulations"), any candidate may submit to the Agency a complaint against an act adversely affecting him/her. Any such complaint should be made to
EASME Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
For the attention of the Director
Reference number of the selection procedure: (example: EASME/III/2017/XXX)
The complaint must be lodged within 3 months from the date on which the candidate is notified of the act adversely affecting him/her.
Should the complaint be rejected, the candidate may request judicial review of the act adversely affecting him/her pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and Article 91 of the Staff Regulations, before:
Court of Justice of the European Union
Registry of the Court
Rue du Fort Niedergrünewald
Any citizen of the European Union or any natural or legal person residing in a Member State may direct a complaint concerning instances of maladministration to the European Ombudsman pursuant to Article 228 (1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union:
The European Ombudsman
1, Avenue du President Robert Schuman - BP 403
F-67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Please note that complaints to the European Ombudsman do not have the effect of suspending the period mentioned in Articles 90 and 91 of the Staff Regulations for lodging complaints or submitting an appeal before the European Union Civil Service Tribunal according to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
12. DATA PROTECTION
The purpose of processing the data submitted by candidates is to evaluate applications in view of possible recruitment at the Agency. The personal information requested by the Agency from candidates will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EC) N°45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. In this regard, please see the Privacy statement.
 Candidates included in the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) database for contract agents CAST RELEX in function group IV can be considered eligible for this post. Candidates on the COM/2/2013/FGIV contract agent pools are not considered eligible for this post.
 You may apply for one or more profile(s) in the EPSO/CAST/P1-17/2017. You are strongly advised to choose only those profiles for which you have the most relevant education and experience. The fact that you present multiple applications does not increase your chances of being pre-selected. For more information regarding the framework of this Call, please refer to the link.
 Before the appointment, a successful candidate shall be medically examined by one of the institutions’ medical officers in order that the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises may be satisfied that he fulfils the requirement of article 28(e) of the Staff Regulation of the Officials of the European Communities.
 Professional experience is counted only from the time you obtained the diploma and qualifications for being eligible (see point A(2) here above). At a later stage, you will be asked to provide supporting documents confirming the length and the level of your professional experience.
 Information regarding your MCQ tests, including invitation(s), will be exclusively sent via your EPSO account which you should consult at least twice a week.
 See also Decision 94/262/ECSC EC, Euratom of the European Parliament of 9 March 1994 on the regulations and general conditions of performance of the Ombudsman's duties (OJ L 113, 05.04.1994), p. 15.